My Adventures at the Hospital

21 May

It has been quite a stressful few days.   My father is only 51 and has been in excellent health (at least from what anyone could tell).  He’s active and fit, so it was completely unexpected when he ended up in the ER Friday with problems breathing, high blood pressure, and irregular EKGs.   I posted a little blurb when I was on my way there, and have hardly had time to breathe much less think in the meantime.

My Dad was admitted to the hospital on Saturday after spending the night in the ER.  He was pumped full of all kinds of medication and scheduled for a cardiac catheterization first thing this morning.  It was quite taxing trying to understand the process and terminology while serving as the disseminator of information across family members, translator of “doctor speak,” and general calming force (I am the oldest and most level-headed of his children, and my step-mom was a nervous wreck).  Trying to tackle my masters program on top of all of that was simply brain-numbing.  I spent all day yesterday reading the book, researching for a paper that is due today, and sometimes just staring into space trying to get my brain to function.

As if that wasn’t enough, my grandma (my Dad’s mother) ended up in the ER this morning for something totally unrelated at literally the same time my Dad was going in for his procedure.  I spent today running from the ER to the ICU to my grandma’s house to get her things together back to the hospital and between the two rooms my Dad and grandma were in.  My father ended up having a 90% blockage in his main artery, which required surgery.  It was a bit of a mess.  Thankfully everyone is doing well for now.

We still don’t know if my grandma will need surgery or not.  They found infected abscesses around her duodenum, and admitted her to the hospital.  She is on strong antibiotics and restricted to no food or water until some undefined point in the future when they determine how well the current treatment is working.  The doctor said that she will most likely be in the hospital for the rest of the week.  The good news is that my Dad should hopefully be released soon, provided the tests they give him tomorrow look good and his recovery is according to schedule.

I could really use a deep sleep and a break from everything right now.  Instead, I have a paper to finish before midnight Arizona time and tomorrow I get to oversee the transition of my company from one server to another.  I just keep reminding myself to breathe.


17 Responses to “My Adventures at the Hospital”

  1. blogventer May 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

    Glad to hear your dad is doing better; hope he and your grandma both heal well! You are such a source of inspiration to me, beautifulmess! I am in awe of all you have accomplished/are accomplishing.

    • beautifulmess7 May 23, 2013 at 8:42 am #

      Thank you! We hope to hear today if she needs surgery or not.

  2. emotionaltornado May 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

    Sure hope your family is healthy and back on their feet soon and you can focus on getting through school. They are lucky to have you there. I don’t know how people without family near handle emergencies like that.

    • beautifulmess7 May 22, 2013 at 8:48 am #

      Thanks so much. My Dad is back home today, and doing okay. My grandma is having a scope put down her throat this morning to check things out. I am very grateful that we are all so close together.

  3. rgonaut May 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

    I know or knew so many guys in their 50’s who suddenly have heart problems. More than one of them have died. There seems to be a pattern: their father died at almost the same age and they have a full head of hair (no baldness). Maybe just my imagination. Next week I will leave my 50’s behind. Survived another decade, still bald. Good luck.

    • beautifulmess7 May 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

      Well, my Dad doesn’t fit that pattern. He’s bald for sure. 🙂 And his Dad is still kicking with no heart trouble whatsoever.

      • rgonaut May 21, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

        Not sure I understand then. Irregular EKG ? Clogged veins? Maybe not exactly heart but close.

        • beautifulmess7 May 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

          Oh, no it was heart issues. I just meant that your theory about heart problems happening for men with a full head of hair whose fathers died of heart problems doesn’t apply in his case.

          • rgonaut May 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

            Yeah I guess not… Or maybe it doesn’t apply to him and he’s lucky it doesn’t. My friends/acquaintances had zero warning. Just up and died. I think I know three all at around age 57.

  4. Ben May 21, 2013 at 9:39 am #

    Breathe, breathe and try to find a little time to rest in this most stressful of times! I hope as the week unfolds there will be good news to help things get back to normal.

    • beautifulmess7 May 21, 2013 at 11:11 am #

      Thanks Bennie! I didn’t get to sleep until 2:30 last night (this morning) because of that school paper, but I definitely plan to turn in early tonight.

  5. Samantha Baker May 21, 2013 at 8:51 am #

    I’m so glad to hear that your dad is ok! Thoughts for your grandma too! Hang int here sweetie!

    • beautifulmess7 May 21, 2013 at 11:13 am #

      I’m doing my best. I think tonight calls for a few glasses of wine and some junk food! 🙂 Maybe not the healthiest coping mechanism, but I’ll tackle my vices during a less stressful time.

  6. Melanie Papasian May 21, 2013 at 8:43 am #

    Hey! I’m sorry to hear about all the hospitalizations. That is super stressful! This kind of thing is actually what precipitated my divorce. My dad was supposed to have angioplasty for a blockage (he’d already survived two heart attacks in the past, even though he’s only 60) and when they did the catheterization, they found more blockages. He ended up having to have a triple bypass, which is terrifying surgery. He came through it great, but seeing my dad in the hospital like that made me think that I wanted my parents to know their grandkids. I started planning to have a family, while I was up there taking care of him. And when I came back to go to work for a couple days and repack my stuff, I had Discovery #n+1 on the computer. I could no longer see myself having a family with my husband. It seemed important enough then for me to finally make the decision to leave.

    So…even though the things happened in a different order (and it’s so odd because my grandma also went into the hospital later with stomach issues), I really feel you, here.

    I think the best thing I can tell you is that medical technology is incredible right now, and that when I’m stressed about stuff I can’t control (like other people’s illnesses), I try to pour myself into my work (your Master’s program, maybe?)…then you take your mind off of the problems for a little bit and you end up with decent grades, too.

    I hope everyone makes a speedy and easy recovery…all the best from NoVa…

    • beautifulmess7 May 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

      Thanks for relating your story and for the advice. I also came to the conclusion that I couldn’t have a “family” with my husband in the sense that I could never have children with him. Oddly enough, I came to that conclusion BEFORE I decided to leave him. That’s mostly because I have never been certain that I want children.

  7. saundrafox May 21, 2013 at 1:35 am #

    Good luck on that side!

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: